Family Violence Statistics
In the last 12 months the media and the broader community has had an increased focus on the problem of family violence. Here are some statistics that clarify the seriousness of the problem in Australia.
- one in four women (23%) has experienced family violence (ABS)
- one in three women (34%) has experienced family violence by a current or former partner (AIC, 2005)
- 1.1 million women have experienced violence by a previous partner since the age of 15 years (ABS,2006)
- Indigenous women are 40 times more likely to be victims, 13 times more likely to seek refuge accommodation and 35 times more likely to be hospitalised for family violence related assault (AIHW, 2006)
- One to two women are killed each week by their current or former partner (ANROWS).