Here are some explanations of common Family Law terms:
- Affidavit: a written statement by a party or witness, it is the main way of presenting the facts by a person in court.
- Consent Order: an Order approving an agreement between parties in financial matters and/or parenting matters.
- Contravention: when a court finds a parent has not followed a court order, that parent has then breached (or contravened) the order.
- Sealed copy: a document that has been filed in the court and has a court seal (stamp) on it.
- Service: the process of sending or giving court documents to the other party in a case.
- Subpoena: a document issued by a court at the request of a party, requiring a person to produce documents and/or give evidence to the court.