“How to find the best Family Lawyer for you?”
“Do you know a good family lawyer in Brisbane?” “Who’s currently the best family lawyer?” These are some of the first questions to be asked when someone separates.
Like any area of life that is new, it’s human nature to want to find comfort and security in that new environment. That need is particularly acute when the new event is a deeply personal one such as looking for a doctor, an accountant or a family lawyer. You will very shortly be opening yourself up to that person about some of the most sensitive and private aspects of your life. You want that advisor to be someone you can relate to, someone you can trust and someone who knows their stuff – an expert!
So, how to find the best family lawyer for you? The answer is a subjective one as everyone is different, but here are some tips that will assist your decision.
ACCREDITED FAMILY LAWYER.
- Speak to a specialist family lawyer, not a general practice solicitor. A Queensland Law Society Accredited family law specialist undergoes a rigorous practical and written examination process to achieve specialist accreditation. Each year they must meet on-going educational standards to maintain accreditation.
- A good family lawyer will have memberships with their National and State family law professional associations.
EXPERIENCED FAMILY LAWYER.
- Experience is the best teacher. Different people have different issues and that requires a family lawyer who has a set of skills that can adapt to those experiences in any setting – whether it be people, negotiations, court hearings, etc.
REPUTABLE FAMILY LAWYER.
- With experience comes the reputation… And respect… It is critical for a family lawyer to provide specialist family law presentations to other professional and corporate groups.
CLIENT-ORIENTED FAMILY LAWYER.
- Family lawyers that are client and community orientated will be active in not-for-profit community legal centres.
- A good family lawyer will have testimonials from satisfied previous clients. Testimonials should be freely available (on the website or at a request) for potential clients to read.
If you are separated or looking to separate and are not sure what to do or who to speak to, we encourage you to call us on (07) 3221 4300 to make a fixed-cost initial appointment with one of our experts. Michael Lynch Family Lawyers are a Brisbane Family Law firm. We are one of Queensland’s largest and most experienced specialist family and relationship law firms. Maybe one of our lawyers can be that trusted advisor for you? To find out more, see our Family Law Services.