Property Settlements in De Facto Relationships
There is a lot of confusion surrounding how property settlements are dealt with in defacto relationships following a relationship breakdown.
- The law that applies for property settlements in defacto relationships is determined by each State. The law that applies for property settlements in marriages is governed by the Federal Government in the Family Law Act.
- There are some significant differences in the law between marriages and defacto relationships, e.g. (in Queensland) in defacto relationships superannuation is not part of the property that can be divided and spouse maintenance is not available to defacto couples.
- In Queensland, a defacto couple is defined as being a ‘genuine domestic relationship’, where:
- The criteria for the division of property under the Queensland legislation is similar to the criteria set out under the Family Law Act i.e it considers financial and non-financial contributions made by each party, as well as a spouse's current and future needs.
- The Queensland legislation enables defacto couples who do not want to be bound by the legislation to enter into a Recognised Agreement, this is an enforceable agreement similar to a Pre-Nuptial Agreement.
If you have any questions about this article or would like to make an appointment to discuss your personal circumstances please telephone us on 3221 4300 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.orgProperty Settlements in De Facto Relationships
The information contained on this site is for general guidance only. No person should act or refrain from acting on the basis of such information. Appropriate professional advice should be sought based upon your particular circumstances because the application of laws and regulations undergo frequent changes. For further information, please do not hesitate to contact Michael Lynch Family Lawyers on email@example.com.
Call us Today on
(07) 3221 4300
The Family Flyer is a free e-mail newsletter. It contains a mix of short topical articles to keep you up-to-date with family law issues.
Most Specialists in Queensland
|At Michael Lynch Family Lawyers we have the most Accredited Family Law Specialists of any firm in Queensland.|